[fpc-devel] Debug Info proposal

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Sun Jan 13 17:37:41 CET 2008

Op zaterdag 12-01-2008 om 20:11 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Bogusław
Brandys:
> Jonas Maebe wrote:
> >
> > On 12 Jan 2008, at 16:07, Bogusław Brandys wrote:
> >
> >> Could we have debug info as separate file ? If this would be possible
> >> I could create release stripped EXE and yet be able to obtain
> >> unit/line of exception combining stacktrace numeric output with
> >> correct debug info file
> >
> > You can already do this: compile a "release executable" with debug info,
> > and then distribute a stripped copy of that executable. The addresses in
> > the stripped executable will match exactly with the addresses in the
> > unstripped one.
> >

> > Jonas_______________________________________________
>
> Wow! Great!
>
> Could fpc devel team provide application with source code which could
> translate addresses from bare bone stacktrace generated from stripped
> executable into full stacktrace with unit/line info using bare bone
> stacktrace file and executable with debug info included ?

Why would we? This is exactly what strip does! It strips out the
debug-info to a seperate file. This is wat the -debug package is when
you create a .rpm. That -debug package stores the debuginfo. If you
install the -debug package, you can use gdb to debug your application.
If you don't install it, you can't.

> Would be perfect situation to tidy join bare bone stacktrace and debug
> info to avoid combining stacktrace with incorrect debug executable.Maybe
> some magic number in stacktrace and debug info ?

Use strip, as the rest of the world does.

Joost.