[fpc-devel] Patch, font rendering on Arm-Linux devices.

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Fri Feb 29 16:21:14 CET 2008

Op Fri, 29 Feb 2008, schreef Christian Iversen:

>> Instead "unaligned" will simulate an unaligned load with two loads and some
>> rotation etc. On the ARM, where every mnemonic can rotate operands, this is
>> isn't that bad of a penalty.
>>
>> Therefore, I wouldn't be surprised that even on ARM, arrays with packed
>> structures are faster than arrays with unpacked structures.
>
> That's possible. Why would it be faster, btw? Better cache coherency?

Like I mentioned, unliek modern x86 processors, ARM processors cannot
detect an array traversal and preload the array into the cache. If the
array is not in cache, you get cache miss after cache miss.

A cache miss is very expensive with latencies of modern memory. A smaller
array results in less cache misses.

Daniël