[fpc-devel] Unicode resourcestrings

Martin Schreiber fpmse at bluewin.ch
Fri Feb 29 10:00:39 CET 2008

On Friday 29 February 2008 09.25:18 Daniël Mantione wrote:
> Op Fri, 29 Feb 2008, schreef Martin Schreiber:
> >>
> >> Resourcestrings are ansistrings, so the answer is no. This is indeed a
> >> shortcoming in a widestring environment, the only solution is probably
> >> to encode them UTF-8.
> >
> > This works with utf-8 system encoding only -> not in an usual Windows
> > installation.
>
> There is utf8decode/utf8encode.

The big advantage of resourcestrings is that they can be used like normal
string constants in the source. If I need to call utf8encode for every used
stringconstant I can use the MSEgui widestring stockcaption facility instead.

> > Are there plans to implement unicode resourcestrings?
>
> No, but this is just because you are the first one to ask. Could you make
> a proposal? Then we'll see how this can be implemented.

Ideally from my point of view would be if the resourcestrings are stored in
utf-8 if the unit is compiled with -Fcutf8 and decoded by utf8decode for
widestring assignment on runtime independent of the system encoding.

Martin