[fpc-devel] Freepascal in microcontrollers

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Thu Feb 28 10:47:39 CET 2008

On 28 Feb 2008, at 08:19, Daniƫl Mantione wrote:

> As long as the compiler is consistent between platforms, it is okay.
> Differences between little/big endian are acceptable because this is
> the only situation where we require the coder to manually intervene
> and write two code paths (usually a simple endian conversion). We
> don't force the coder to make different code paths between i.e.
> Linux/Windows, nor should we.

It's not about Linux vs. Windows, it's about FPC 2.2.0 vs FPC 3.4.0,
coupled with the fact that bitpacked records as currently defined are
not usable for defining a specific layout.

For that sort of functionality, you need extensions anyway. If someone
wants that functionality, it's better to create such extensions so the
programmer can in fact specify everything and implement that, rather
than adding constraints to the implementation of bitpacked records.

Jonas