[fpc-devel] Freepascal in microcontrollers

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Thu Feb 28 09:08:36 CET 2008

> To my knowledge there is no problem with the current implementation.
> Endian conversion is already the reponsibility of the programmer.
> Therefore I don't see a need for changes on the compiler side.

I don't understand your meaning here.

If a record with binary fields is defined and transferred to (e.g.)
another instance of the same program running on another machine by
network or within a file, or if it needs to be crafted according to a
specification of a network block or file format or a hardware device,
endianess needs to be taken care of, and it's not nice if the user needs
to write active code to do this, if a "bitpacked" type is available that
seemingly can be used for that issue.

You even might want to define a record that just holds a single 16 bit
value. Here it would be good to be able do define endianess of the
bitpacked structure to make it compatible with the communication partner.

-Michael