[fpc-devel] Freepascal in microcontrollers

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Wed Feb 27 12:33:43 CET 2008

Op Wed, 27 Feb 2008, schreef Vinzent Hoefler:

> On Wednesday 27 February 2008 11:47, Daniël Mantione wrote:
>
>> Then use bitpacked records:
>
> If you'd document them properly?

Already done afaik.

> So we're on-topic again. You are comparing Pascal and Ada. I look at Ada
> as a more strict version of Pascal, is all.

Yes, we are on topic again. What I object to is your e-mails
often look like Ada advertisements. This is only okay up to a certain
point.

Comparisons with Ada are valid when designing language extensions; better
copy well than do it bad yourself. On the other hand, Ada isn't perfect
either.

> Too many Ada-features have crept into Pascal over the years. ;)

You can look at it that way, but Ada wasn't the blueprint for Pascal
extensions. Some come from C, some from Modula-2, some from Visual Basic.
Bitpacking can be considered a "real" Pascal extension, early compilers in
the eighties could already do it.

Daniël