[fpc-devel] Freepascal in microcontrollers

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Wed Feb 27 11:47:46 CET 2008

Op Wed, 27 Feb 2008, schreef Vinzent Hoefler:

>> You mean like ADA? Indeed, I agree :P
>
> No, I meant languages which are not able to give me bit level control
> over a type and have to circumvent this restriction with either
> awkward "macro magic" or even can't do nothing at all.
>
> If I mean to set the write buffer water mark of the SDRAM controller
> register, I'd rather write:
>
> |SDRAM_Buffer_Control.WB_Watermark := Sixteen;
>
> instead of
>
> |SDRAMBufferControl := (SDRAMBufferControl and not WB_WATERMARK_MASK) or
> |                      WB_WATER_MARK_16;
>
> Not even to think of the much more cryptic C version.

Then use bitpacked records:

type  TSDRAM_Buffer_Control=bitpacked record
         {...}
       end;

var SDRAM_Buffer_Control:TSDRAM_Buffer_Control absolute [$xxxxxx];

begin
   {...}
   SDRAM_Buffer_Control.WB_Watermark := Sixteen;
   {...}

Just like Micha I'm not impressed about the Ada code, and it is
off-topic, this is and remains a Pascal newsgroup. Comparisons between
Pascal and other languages are on-topic, comparisons between C and Ada are
off-topic.

Daniël