[fpc-devel] In FPC written FPC Debugger

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Mon Feb 25 10:30:19 CET 2008

>> This is a limitation of the user interface you are using on top of the
>> gdb infrastructure, as e.g. Xcode (which uses the gdb mi) does display
>> such types.
>>

> Yea, I already thought that Eclipse, DDD, Anjuta, ... could also wrap
> that functionality. But with your statement nearly every missing feature
> in GDB can be dropped by referring to the UI.

So it looks like at least pert of the missing stuff can be added by
means of the Lazarus IDE.

Thus it looks more promising (and a lot less work to do) to go this way
with the standard GDB as far as possible and introduce GDB extensions
(as patches) if absolutely necessary.

>>> - Set breakpoints within template functions. A template function might
>>>  be instantiated multiple times, i.e. for every type it is used for.
>>>  If you set a breakpoint at the source line within a template
>>>  function, only one instantiation is (randomly?) chosen.
>>>
>> Use the rbreak command instead of break (and you may also have to use
>> dwarf instead of stabs).

Am enhanced Lazarus IDE would be able to remote-control GDB in that way
(managing multiple code breakpoints behind a single source code line), too.

-Michael