[fpc-devel] Lazarus: A new widgest set
mschnell at lumino.de
Fri Feb 15 11:54:43 CET 2008
> What is your goal? Isn't the LCL a lot of "overhead" then? What
> features in the LCL do you want to use?
Of course nearly nothing of the LCL is used in such applications, but as
it's not compiled in the executable it does not harm. So why not work
along the open source stuff that already exist and rely on Lazarus as an
With this method you can use a Form (which supposedly is "downgraded" to
be something that is visible only in designer mode - similar to a
datamodule) as a container for things like lnet
Moreover you can use an Application to develop and debug your code:
- you create a unit that provides a component that holds your
functionality (including things like lnet that could be visually placed
on a non-primary form or datamodule)
- you create a visible unit with a primary form that has all controls
you like for testing. Here you use the other unit and do communication
between the units with functions, properties and events
- you do all development and testing needed.
You can do this in Linux and in Windows with everything Lazarus provides
- You create another main unit that does not provide the testing
controls but does reference the functionality unit.
- You change the wigetset to "nonGUI" and create an executable for the
More information about the fpc-devel