[fpc-devel] Unicode and UTF8String

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 12:55:02 CET 2008

Hello,

Some things weren't clear from the previous discussion, so I would
like to clarify them.

For instance, the GetTempFileName routine:

http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/rtl/sysutils/gettempfilename.html

The routine is currently ANSI, but we need a unicode version of it.
How would that unicode version look like? We currently have 3 unicode
string types planned AFAIK: UTF8String, WideString and the new
variable encoding type (how is that called?).

I assume that the new variable encoding type would be used for all
unicode routines, am I right?

Or would versions for all 3 types be added? (for example, if someone
donates utf8 routines).

thanks,
--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho