[fpc-devel] fpdoc and fv

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Mon Aug 25 10:48:48 CEST 2008

> Lazarus context sensitive help shows documentation of the fpdoc files and
> comments from pasdoc (similar to javadoc, DelphiCodeToDoc) and it browses
> through the class hierarchy to show ancestor help. The help content can be
> edited in the IDE context sensitive or via lazde and Kirk is doing a great job
> here.

Sounds good. But nonetheless whenever I talk to a Lazarus newbie he says
is learning curve is bad because of the much little information is and
the bad usability of the help system. I recommend installing the free
Turbo Delphi start it, type a code word in it's Editor Window and press
F1. With this they in fact do learn to use Lazarus, while they would
give up otherwise.

In the German Lazarus forum there recently has been a discussion on
improving the (German) help. There had been a suggestion to use a Wiki
to update / enhance the help texts. But an automated system to update
the online help files would be needed to make this useful. (Moreover the
usability (e.g the "context-sensitivity") of the Lazarus help system
needs a great improvement, but this of course has to be discussed
elsewhere).

-Michael