[fpc-devel] libc translations

Boian Mitov mitov at mitov.com
Sun Aug 10 11:09:02 CEST 2008

    Hi Daniel,

Thank you!
As I mentioned I am very new, and still don't know the exact rules of the
purpose of specific units. I am not sure if the timers are available on
other systems than Linux yet. I am sure there is some form of equivalent. I
actually don't have any Kylix code. I am porting Windows code, actually
making it cross platform as we support Delphi 5-2007, and plan to support
Lazarus for Windows and Linux for now, and hopefully for other platforms in
the future. Porting huge code from Windows is slow and error prone process,
so I am doing it in stages. For now I have made everything to recompile
under Lazarus in Linux, and now I am filling the items I had to cut from the
code during the conversion. In Windows I use the Media Timers, and the only
equivalent thing I have found in Linux is the High Resolution timers. I have
been studding the FPC and Lazarus code, and I discovered the libc, and it
seemed as the logical place such timers to be implemented. If they belong to
a different location, this is fine. I can also keep them in my code, but I
thought other people can benefit from the translation.

As I said I am days fresh on Linux, and have been playing with Lazarus and
FPC under Windows for only a month or so, and I have a lot to learn ;-) . I
was able however to get the libraries to work nearly 80% already, and I
think in few months can have them ready for deployment. I still will have to
figure out how to package them in Linux, and how to deploy them compiled
against different visual frameworks, but that is for the future. For now I
am focused on getting the high resolution timers to work, so I can move to
the next issue in the list ;-) .

  With best regards,
    Boian Mitov