[fpc-devel] TAVLTree(avl_tree.pp) thread safety : second proposition

Micha Nelissen micha at neli.hopto.org
Fri Aug 8 08:30:42 CEST 2008

Marco van de Voort wrote:
>> Inoussa OUEDRAOGO wrote:
>>>  - TAVLManagedTree that uses a node mem manager provided in the constructor.
>>>    The developer using this one is _aware_ of the thread safety issue and can
>>>    then provide a thread safe node mem manager for an instance exposed
>> What is exactly the add-on value for the node mem manager?
>
> I can only think of heap fragmentation and reduction of creation overhead.

Yes, but fpc's memory manager also already does this (at least if the
allocation size is less than 512 bytes or so).

Before very complex multithreaded implementations are thought up and
implemented, it would be wise to see if there really is a significant
enough performance boost with the node manager.

Micha