Multi threading support was Re:[fpc-devel]Russianlocale information not compatiblewithFPClocale variables

Boian Mitov mitov at mitov.com
Fri Aug 1 09:15:02 CEST 2008

Here is example of just simple linear chain:

A -> B -> C ->D

In this case there are no even any splits or merges, and yet the problems
become obvious.

A can start sending data to B
and D can start sending let say clock events to C

Each component has to run in a separated thread as A may be capturing data
from a device or receiving it from the web and unzipping it. B may be
filtering the dada, C maybe performing 2D or 3D graphic transformation, and
D maybe is compressing and storing the data in a file. Obviously you need
them to run on separated cores if possible, and be locked the minimal amount
of time.

Our granularity mechanism is a to lock the A component when changing data in
it, then unlock it and lock the connection A->B send the data to B then
unlock the connection and lock B to deliver the data to it and unlock it
immediately and it continues.
This way each thread own only one lock at the time and eliminates the
deadlock danger.
Otherwise deadlocks are inevitable :-( .

Our previous design was to have a master lock we ware obtaining then tracing
and locking the chain we ware to deliver to, then unlocking the master lock
and delivering trough the chain and then unlocking it in left to right
fashion. Obviously a sick design born from a sick mind (i.e. mine ;-) ),
hopefully at some point I figured I am insane, and obvious improvement :-D .

As you can see there are obvious scenarios where the granularity approach
seems to be the only reasonable one.

  With best regards,
    Boian Mitov

Mitov Software