[fpc-devel] FPC 2.3.1 SVN 8427: new compilation error.

Bruce Tulloch bruce at causal.com
Tue Sep 11 07:44:35 CEST 2007

In attempting to check the resolution of the GDB/DWARF issue
reported earlier, we've encountered a new (apparent) FPC bug.

FPC 2.3.1 (SVN 8427) is producing this new compilation error:

  "Error: Can't take the address of constant expressions"

when attempting to compile a line:

  EOF(MyFile);

where MyFile is a property of a class defined thus:

  TMyClass = class(TAnotherClass)
   private
     FFile : TextFile;
   protected
     property MyFile : TextFile read FFile;
   public
     ::
     ::
   end;

FPC 2.1.4, Delphi6 and Kylix3 don't complain.

Replacing MyFile with FFile work OK (but is not what we want
for other reasons).

Is this a new bug or a new definition of how properties may
be handled with EOF?

Cheers, Bruce.