[fpc-devel] FPC 2.2 online documentation problem

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 11:09:22 CEST 2007

On 05/09/07, Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:

> In the beginning we used latex2html. The problem is that the documentation
> is simply too big. It takes days to convert (what do you expect from a perl

That's no good in this day and age!  :)

> program...) so we switched to tex4ht.

I was just looking at this, for some of my documents.  The default
output is a bit ugly, but luckily by just changing a few settings in
the .css file it already looks much better.

> Personally, I would drop the HTML support completely and simply provide
> PDF for the manuals. I must spend far too much time on it. And unless
> someone takes over the conversion effort, this probably is what will
> happen.

I guess that wouldn't be so bad either.  Since having the issue with
the HTML versions, I downloaded the PDF ones. They look great, support
hyper links and I can search the content.  Doesn't Google support
viewing PDF documents online? - for those that don't want to download
them.

> Note that I do not propose to drop HTML support for the unit reference
> guides; The HTML support of fpdoc is not under question.

I agree, the fpdoc HTML looks and works great!  :-)  I was just
referring to the big manuals.

I'll try what Schindler suggested and generate the HTML locally with
my copy of htlatex and see how it goes.  Just to experiment.

Regards,
  - Graeme -