[fpc-devel] property syntax extension

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sun Oct 21 14:29:34 CEST 2007

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007, Florian Klaempfl wrote:

> >> If the arrayoptions for example becomes a large set (>32 elements), an
> >> old version that will try to read a new version will read too little
> >> data. We will of course bump the ppu version, so the compile refuses
> >> old ppus.
> >
> > Is the newer ppureader be able to read older ppu?
> > In other words: Does a current ppureader contains the code to read the
> > old format too?
>
> No.
>
> I discussed this already with Paul. My proposal is generate a separate
> xml file containing the attributes. This xml can be used by IDEs or
> included in the final executable if necessary.

That was my idea of the .ppi file. Looking at all the discussion, that
option now seems best. As you say, it can always be included in the
binary, if someone wants it. XML would also allow to merge files easily.

I'm currently looking at a resource library implementation by Giulio
Bernardi, which would make that extremely easy to do. It's completely
cross-platform, and looks like a very good replacement for the current
ELF-only implementation (to which it is compatible).

Michael.