[fpc-devel] ARM4 and THUMB instruction sets

Bernd Mueller mueller.b at gmx.net
Thu Oct 18 13:35:16 CEST 2007

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:

> Acording to the nokia wiki using thumb would be produce smaller and
> faster code on the majority of mobiles, so it may be useful to see of

just for more information:

"The Thumb code requires 70 % of space of the ARM code.
  The Thumb code uses 40 % more instructions than the ARM code.
  With 32-bit memory, the ARM code is 40 % faster than the Thumb code.
  With 16-bit memory, the Thumb code is 45 % faster than the ARM code.
  Thumb code uses 30 % less external memory power than ARM code."

Source: Steve Furber, ARM system-on-chip architecture.

So in my case, I won't touch Thumb code ;-)

Regards, Bernd.