[fpc-devel] Unreachable code warnings

Adriaan van Os fpc at microbizz.nl
Thu Oct 18 09:13:22 CEST 2007

Daniƫl Mantione wrote:

> Op Mon, 15 Oct 2007, schreef Michael Schnell:
>
>>> So I guess the warning stays. We can discuss some extensions which makes
>>> it easier to code such restrictions like merging parts of the tue branch.
>>>
>> Could the warning not simply be switched off and on (or set to some kind of
>> level) by a {$... line ?
>
> It is on the to-do list already. However, I don't think it'll be the end
> of the discussions; there will always be tension between the compiler
> being helpfull to signal dubious code, and the compiler generating too
> much noise.

The compiler will be used in different ways by different people for different needs. Thus,
viewpoints will differ ands that means that discussions about the pros and contras of a specific
warning can be endless. The way out, I believe, is an infrastructure where individual warnings can
be put on and off, like gpc and gcc have, e.g. see
<http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.2.2/gcc/Warning-Options.html>. I believe I heard that it is on
the todo list ?

Regards,

Adriaan van Os