[fpc-devel] fpdoc description file syntax

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Oct 16 11:26:09 CEST 2007

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been looking and working with the fpdoc descriptions files again
> for the fpGUI project. I find that to write documentation you need to
> know HTML (or at least a subset of HTML). This makes it harder for
> somebody not knowing HTML to write documentation.  Yes the amount of
> tags are not much.

This can be easily solved with a decent editor. Any web page these days
has a wysiwyg HTML editor.

> I've been looking at the Wiki sites and their syntax. They had to
> solve the same problem. Allowing general non-HTML programmers to write
> articles.  Why couldn't we do the same for fpdoc.

I'm sorry, but they all use some kind of markup system.
So you'll have to learn one or another anyway.

Since (X)HTML is a W3 standard, we stick to the standard.

And a programmer (he'll be doing the documenting, normally)
which has no minimal knowledge of HTML should have his license
revoked, these days...

Michael.