[fpc-devel] {$Interfaces Corba} and TInterfacedObject

Sergei Gorelkin sergei_gorelkin at mail.ru
Thu Nov 29 13:00:34 CET 2007

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Beats me, I thought that might be needed for querying a object for
> interfaces it supports...  As far as CORBA is concerned, I'm just
> shooting in the dark here...  Information on CORBA usage is limited
> and I can't find any FPC code examples to give me hints.  It seems
> quite useless having the Corba support in FPC, if everything related
> to Interfaces requires COM methods.

Think of Corba-styled interfaces as about "interfaces without COM glue",
not just as about "interfaces without refcounting". To get runtime
typecasting features, you have to implement it yourself. OTOH, you are
free to implement anything you want.

As for non-refcounted interfaced base class, you may want to use
TComponent. Of course, it has some overhead compared with
TInterfacedObject, but its features are quite useful in almost every
application.

Regards,
Sergei