[fpc-devel] Notice: Possible copyright infringements in FPC code base

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 12:07:16 CET 2007

On 19/11/2007, Michael Van Canneyt <michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be> wrote:

> be based on Delphi/Kylix code. All such identified routines of sufficient
> complexity and/or likeliness have been or are in the process of being rewritten
> from scratch using a clean room approach: by someone who is not intimately
> familiar with the current implementation, and only based on documentation
> written by other people. I am personally supervising this effort.

Well done guys!  I'm glad you took the first step and trying to get a
clean slate.  Lets hope Borland/CodeGear does the same thing, as it
works both ways. Also glad to here that the SIM tool came in handy.

> We are in a constructive dialog with people from CodeGear over this issue, and
> will report back later on the repercussions as far as current and previous FPC
> releases are concerned.

Are those discussions publicly available (newsgroup, forum) or are
they in private?  Would make for an interesting read to see what
CodeGear says and what they are doing from their side. After all, FPC
and Lazarus came up with some cool ideas of the years and our code is
a lot more public than theirs.

> PS: for those interested, here is the preliminary list of tainted routines we
> have identified. If you are aware of more cases, please let us know as soon as

The original discussion sure opened a can of worms....  Lazarus, it
seems you guys are next. :)

Regards,
  - Graeme -