[fpc-devel] Lazarus IDE searching units overwiev inquire (issue#10176 successor)

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Thu Nov 15 01:06:31 CET 2007

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 02:28:29 +0300
Andrey Gusev <ag888 at rambler.ru> wrote:

> * Mattias Gaertner <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de> [Thu, 15 Nov 2007
> 00:13:03 +0100]:
> > I may have misunderstood your descriptions in the bug tracker.
> > It was not clear to me, that you added the units to the project,
> > because the example showed no package dependency and a lot absolute
> > paths.
>
> Exactly thus: some units, used in project, not included to project
> explicitly.
> I do not see, why that not good.

You don't need to add every unit to a project or package. It is
sufficient to add the the directories to the unit search path.
But for update checks, and quick searches it is recommended to
assign every unit to a specific project or package.

If a directory is not in the unit search path, then it will not get the
project settings.
Every package and project has their own settings (search paths and
compiler flags).

Because the IDE does not apply the project settings to everything (like
Delphi), the developer finds dangling units quickly and the units
can use only those units, that they should use. This reduces version
conflicts, accidental auto rebuilds and context switches.

> > > This phenomenon is strongly obstruct to developing process in few
> > > aspects.
> >
> > Many problems were solved by using fpc 2.2.0.
> > What questions are left?
>
> fpc 2.3.1 implements automation, interfaces and so on - they needs to
> me in my work.

I'm pretty sure, if the FPC team gets some good test examples, they can
fix these things quickly.

> I have many of Delphi sources (both my own and foreign), that i would
> to port to FPC.

Mattias