[fpc-devel] Re: copyright infringement in FPC code

mm m2 at ellipsa.net
Wed Nov 14 16:05:24 CET 2007

Neil Graham a écrit :
> On Tue, 2007-11-13 at 18:10 +0700, Bee wrote:
>
>> Maybe we should start some kind of code legality check. Like what had
>> been done by ReactOS a few months ago against Windows' code. This tool
>> might helps us review FPC's and Lazarus' code against Delphi code (or
>> other as well?).
>
> Wouldn't it be more efficient to write to Borland (or whatever they call
> themselves this week).
>
> say something like (but not exactly like, I'm just rambling here);
>
> we have endeavoured to produce code that does not violate any
> copyrights, but as a collaborative project it is difficult to guarantee
> the work of all contributors.  We would like to arrange a liaison in
> order that should any copyright violations be discovered we can correct
> the situation as soon as possible.
>

> It may mean an easy and acceptable solution.  They may just say no.
> Then again it may be like drawing the gaze of the eye of mordor.

I don't think it is a good idea. In case of a court sue, it could be
used by Borland lawyers, "See, at that time they already acknowledged
the possibility to be guilty".

I strongly doubt that Borland/Codegear will sue the FPC team (even in
case of copyright infringement). It would be a very bad advertisement
campaign. In fact, I think the best for them is to do what they are
doing:
* A free Turbo Delphi (so that beginners make use of it instead of
   using Lazarus/FPC).
* Fuzzy threats like the one reported in this thread (so that
   companies make use of Delphi instead of Lazarus/FPC). Here, the
   threat is much more efficient than the attack.

mm
http://www.ellipsa.net