[fpc-devel] Dnamic packages support

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Mon Nov 5 12:43:01 CET 2007

> If you really want to write C plugin, then I can add a unit to the
> IDEIntf with some common functions without OOP.

I don't intend to doing that right now.

But one of the most commonly used and supposedly complex and well
defined plugin systems open to 3rd party providers is Steinberg (Cubase)
plugins for MIDI/Audio applets.

- the plugin API defines MIDI I/O, Audio I/O, GUI and supposedly some
more weird stuff like copy protection dongles
- there are working hosts and plugins for Windows, Linux and Mac
- there are hundreds of companies providing those plugins (many freeware
products)
- there are hosts by several companies. Besides Steinberg products there
is NI "Core" and even a hardware system (that runs on Linux)
- I read about projects writing those plugins successfully with free Pascal

So this _is_ a good example of an OS and language independent plugin
API. Maybe it's a good idea to provide something compatible.

-Michael