[fpc-devel] Dnamic packages support

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Sat Nov 3 18:59:58 CET 2007

Op Sat, 3 Nov 2007, schreef Michael Van Canneyt:

> On Sat, 3 Nov 2007, Florian Klaempfl wrote:
>
> > Leonardo M. Ramé schrieb:
> > > Reading a post in "public.mseide-msegui.talk", the mseide discussion
> > >  list, I found this:
> > >
> > > "Florian has committed the beginning of dynamic packages support".
> > >
> > > With "Dynamic Packages" you mean a platform independent way of
> > >  implementing something similar to
> > > .Dlls (or .bpl)? without creating each library its own memory manager?,
> > >  where objects can flow
> > > across all libraries without problems?
> > >

> > If it is finished, it would be something like this yes. However, I'am
> > not convinced of the use of dyn. loaded packages for an OSS project so I
> > played only with it.
>
> Hm. I don't see what OSS or not OSS has to do with it ?
>
> Packages are IMHO a pre-requisite for any good plugin system.

The reason is that the "library" construction requires you to write down
your binary interface, and therefore design it properly. If the
interfacing between application and plugin is automatic, it can also
change automatically without you knowing.

I believe such a system is only useable in contolled environments. If
plug-ins are to be developed by a third party, runtime-packages aren't
a feasible mechanism.

Daniël