[fpc-devel] Graph unit under Go32V2

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at mbox.vol.cz
Sun Mar 11 21:57:43 CET 2007

On 10 Mar 07, at 19:47, borsa77 at libero.it wrote:

Hi Marco,

> Reminder.

Good that you sent this reminder. ;-)
Unfortunately, your diff cannot be used without
changes and I don't have enough time to dig into
it deeply. The following points should be
addressed before applying it:

1) Please, always create diffs against the trunk
version, not 2.0.x. Merging fixes to 2.0.x may be
done afterwards if needed, but not the other way
round.

2) At least some of your changes related to
saving of registers shouldn't be needed any
longer - the reason is that there was a problem
in the compiler which resulted in incorrect
assumptions regarding saved registers (which in
turn resulted in the crash as observed with Graph
in 2.0.4). However, this issue has been fixed in
compiler in the meantime. Please, review your
changes in this part and keep only those which
are really needed for some reason (preferably
describe the reasons for saving them using
comments directly in the code, so that previous
mistakes are avoided in the future).

3) Leak in modes.inc has been addressed by
Florian in the meantime. His change isn't
completely equal to yours and it isn't clear to
me, whether your other changes in this part might
be needed too, or not - could you check the
latest version whether you still find a need to
change something there, please?

4) Please, try to avoid nothing doing changes
like '0' to '00', '2' to '02h', etc. - things
like this make it more difficult to review your
diffs. I sometimes feel with your changes that
you were experimenting in order to find the
reason why something was broken until one of your
changes finally fixed the issue, but you then
kept all the changes, not just the needed one(s).

5) It's rather unclear to me why you changed all
the various constants to typed ones - this
shouldn't be needed normally. See the previous
point too.

Thanks for your effort to improve FPC and sorry
for not responding earlier, I was too busy at
that time and Pierre probably too. :-(

Tomas