[fpc-devel] Widestrings in win32

Micha Nelissen micha at neli.hopto.org
Sat Jun 16 10:11:11 CEST 2007

Martin Schreiber wrote:
> Hi,
> It seems that CG plans to implement an non BSTR widestring type for win32:
> http://groups.google.ch/group/borland.public.delphi.non-technical/msg/7caeced42f1934a4?hl=en&
>
> The introduced string handling for the "Unicode VCL" is equivalent to the
> string handling in MSEgui BTW.

Widestring remains the COM compatible one AFAICS, and there is a new
UnicodeString that maybe has ref counting features. I quote:

"WideString will remain a BSTR for use in interoperating with COM.  The
good thing is that the conversions between BSTRs and UnicodeStrings is
much more simple and straight forward..."

Micha