[fpc-devel] language extensions

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Thu Jun 14 09:59:20 CEST 2007

Op Thu, 14 Jun 2007, schreef Graeme Geldenhuys:

> On 13/06/07, Daniël Mantione <daniel.mantione at freepascal.org> wrote:
> >
> > Andreas uses a preprocessor to convert the language extensions into
> > Delphi
> > compatible code. This is a remarkable achievement, but I don't see much
> > value for this approach for Free Pascal; since we have the source code,
> > we
> > could implement the features directly.
>
> I didn't mean the way he did it, I meant the language features he
> added.  Would there be anything useful (language features) we could
> add the the Free Pascal Compiler?

We already have the generics can the preprocessor symbols. That leaves the
"for in". The development team has its doubts about the "for in"
construct, but:

* Andreas did it in a reasonably clean way with a lot less hacks and
  ugly constructions than Delphi did.
* The pressure on us is increasing to have a "for in".

I'm not totally happy with the hardcoded method names Andreas used, but
his implementation could be used as a base to build on.

> I just thought we could discuss some language ideas/improvements and
> add them to Mantis feature requests or something.

I think a Wiki article per improved suggestion is better, so every one can
comment on it.

Daniël