[fpc-devel] Linux kernel behaviour change regarding keyboard

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Wed Jul 18 20:40:40 CEST 2007

Op Wed, 18 Jul 2007, schreef Michael Van Canneyt:

> > > Not to mention that it allows you to open and overwrite any arbitrary
> > > file.
> >
> > Yes. Just like we all have for decades. And no, it is not ideal, but
> > apparantly that is what the kernel devels want as the only way to access the
> > full terminal capability.
>
> You cannot distribute a tool which creates a security hole as large as from
> here till Tokio. That would not look good the day it is discovered, and
> arguments like "the kernel forcing us to do so" will not help us then.
>
> It just means you'll have less functionality.
> How does midnight commander solve it? As far as I know, it also
> has strange keyboard combinations ?

Probably Midnight Commander doesn't solve it. Ctrl+arrows works in mc, but
I expect them to use the TIOCLINUX, subfunction 6, to get the shift
states. The keyboard unit makes use of this ioctl too, but it ain't enough
to catch combinations like alt+fx, escape without delay, and being able to
tell the difference between F11 and shift+F1. I believe mc doesn't do
this.

Still, there is the semiraw mode, which is another way to catch keys, but
the semi raw mode has the disadvantage that it is keymap ignorant. You
need your own keymaps like XFree86 (XFree86 probably uses semi-raw, or
full raw mode).

Daniël