[fpc-devel] Linux kernel behaviour change regarding keyboard

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Wed Jul 18 17:56:24 CEST 2007

On 18 Jul 2007, at 17:42, Marco van de Voort wrote:

>>> Yes. Just like we all have for decades.

No, we haven't.

>>> And no, it is not ideal, but
>>> apparantly that is what the kernel devels want as the only way to
>>> access the
>>> full terminal capability.
>>
>> You cannot distribute a tool which creates a security hole as
>> large as from
>> here till Tokio. That would not look good the day it is
>> discovered, and
>> arguments like "the kernel forcing us to do so" will not help us
>> then.
>
> What is the security hole exactly?

If you install the IDE as setuid root, then every user starting the
IDE will run the IDE as if he were root. That means he can open and
modify every single file on the system. And overwrite any binary with
an own written program by just configuring the proper exe output
directory in the IDE.

And by using the shell functionality of the IDE, he can also open a
root shell if that's more comfortable for him than using the IDE itself.

Jonas