[fpc-devel] Having an always utf-8 string

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 08:48:52 CEST 2007

Hi,

I would like which would be the theoritical way that Free Pascal could
support an always utf-8 encoded string (if it will be supported). With
that I mean a string which when set by code is converted from
widestring to utf-8 in despite of any environmental conditions, or
operating system conditions. So I can open a feature request for it.

Based on past discussion, I assume that the prefered way would be
using the UTF8String type, is that correct?

Another option would be having the possibility to manually change the
output format of the widestring managed.

I think this gets more important as Lazarus moves to UTF-8.

thanks,
--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho