[fpc-devel] Comparison FPC 2.2 - Delphi 7

Bernd Mueller mueller.b at gmx.net
Thu Jul 5 10:13:16 CEST 2007

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
> On 7/4/07, Martin Schreiber <fpmse at bluewin.ch> wrote:
>> Compile time FPC: 17.9s Delphi: 1.28s
>> Exe size FPC: 2.27MB Delphi: 1.87MB
>
> Contrary to most others, my analysis is the following:
>
> It's really great that fpc now generates binaries of competitive size
> with the Delphi ones, and the build size is IHMO good for a software
> this big, and much better then it used to be.
>
> The fact that Delphi's compile time is excelent doesn't mean that ours
> isn't good.

I have the same opinion. Most important for me is the quality and the
execution speed of the generated code by the compiler, second important
is the size of the executable (I consider to use fpc for embedded
systems). Having worlds fastest (perhaps assembler coded) compiler would
be nice, but I think you developers (thank you for the fantastic
compiler BTW) should focus on code generation and useful language
extensions.

Regards, Bernd.