[fpc-devel] Comparison FPC 2.2 - Delphi 7

Florian Klaempfl florian at freepascal.org
Thu Jul 5 09:24:41 CEST 2007

Michael Van Canneyt schrieb:

> Last I heard, the Delphi compiler is written in assembler, and is for 1 CPU only,
> which means they can do a lot of optimizations. FPC has a more general architecture
> and therefore is not "optimal" in terms of speed.
>
> Why do you think Borland has such a hard time supporting new platforms (provided
> they spend time on it at all) ? They would have to rewrite their compiler practically
>>from scratch. For FPC, adding a new CPU is not so much work, as it is designed for this.

That's exactly the reason. When designing some part, you can always
choose two of the three goals portability, maintainability and speed.
Usually, you can't get all three. Since FPC is still reasonable fast, I
don't consider this as really important. If it is, we can concentrate on
a multithreaded compiler.