[fpc-devel] FPC on Intel and AMD dual core processors

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Thu Jul 5 08:58:33 CEST 2007

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does FPC take any advantage of dual core or quad core processors? Intel
> or AMD?
> Also I'm developing mostly under Linux, but all our products get
> released for Windows and Linux.  Would it make a difference which OS I
> use?

I'm using it on a Core Duo here. The biggest issue I've found is a multi-threaded make of the entire
source tree.

make -j3 will die as it tries to link a library that has not finished compiling yet. I've reverted
to a single threaded build and it works fine. Just a race I guess. I've not actually written any
multi-threaded code with FPC, but I suspect it will *just* work as it seems to use the base OS
threading functions.

Brad