[fpc-devel] Comparison FPC 2.2 - Delphi 7

Yury Sidorov jura at cp-lab.com
Wed Jul 4 23:00:36 CEST 2007

From: "Micha Nelissen" <micha at neli.hopto.org>
> Jonas Maebe wrote:
>> The main reduction in compile time would probably come from
>> using -O-1
>> -Ooregvar instead of -O2. I don't think the resulting code will be
>> much
>> slower either in most cases.
>
> No, the main reduction is not outputting anything to console: from
> 18.5
> sec to 15.9 sec vs. 18.5 sec to 17.5 sec.
>
> I used 'compile-fpc | grep compiled'. Where compile-fpc is a batch
> file.

I think it is because you run compilation for the second time and
files were in cache.

Here mu number for the second run without deletion of compiled unit
files (to ensure that source files are cached):

FPC with -O2: 14.7s;
FPC with -O-: 11.4s;
D7:            1.6s.

Results are sad :( It is a good reason to find out why FPC is so slow
even without optimizations. Linking time is less then 1s, so it is not
slow.

Yury.