[fpc-devel] Erroneous finalizing of const widestring array

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Sun Jul 1 12:08:17 CEST 2007

Op Sun, 1 Jul 2007, schreef Martin Schreiber:

> On Saturday 30 June 2007 14.46, Yury Sidorov wrote:
> > From: "Yury Sidorov" <jura at cp-lab.com>
> >
> > > From: "Martin Schreiber" <fpmse at bluewin.ch>

> > > Fixed and merged to fixes.
> >
> > Martin, please inform us when FPC 2.1.5 will work as expected with
> > your code and no more bugs will be left.
> > After that 2.2 release can be launched.
> >
> Another blocker:
>
> http://www.freepascal.org/mantis/view.php?id=9190
>
> Hopefully the last, it leads to spurions crashes of MSEide.
> Seems not so easy to fix without performance loss.
> What about an reference counted widestring type for win32?

The main issue with extra string types is that the number of possible
conversions is n*n-n. With 2 string types you need to handle just 2
conversions. With the current 3, we have 3*3-3=6 conversions. With 4, it
becomes 12 conversions.

It would be 2.3+, and would not remove the need to have bug free non
reference counted widestrings.

Daniël