[fpc-devel] KOL for WinCE

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Sat Feb 10 21:49:57 CET 2007

Op Sat, 10 Feb 2007, schreef Bogus?aw Brandys:

> > I will look at possibility to port MCK to Lazarus...
>
> I would like to see rather a new KOL widgetset for Lazarus,but I don't know
> how to implement such and don't  break KOL feature - small exe size.

The principle behind RAD the design is that the framework can set up an
object hierarchy as designed in the IDE. The Lazarus/Delphi approach is to
store the properties in resource, then load and construct the objects
using runtime type information.

The has some consequences for the exe size. Of course RTTI is always in.
But also, all properties in a component are always used (the compiler
doesn't know what is in the resource file). So, a lot of code ends up in
the executable.

Therefore, I believe RAD with KOL will remain a dream. Make the LCL
smaller, there are probably some opportunities to do so.

Daniël