[fpc-devel] FPC dynamic libraries

Bogusław Brandys brandys at o2.pl
Thu Feb 8 18:15:59 CET 2007

Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

>>> (and don't
>>> running at the
>>> If I understand well what you mean, Vista has versioning of
>>> that kind, you can ask to see older versions of any file and
>>> restore the one you want. A small caveat is that for files
>>> that don't exist currently anymore (deleted) there's no GUI
>>> to get them (or one I haven't spotted yet) and you need to
>>> make a dummy file with same name, then right click it and go
>>> to Properties, then ask for the older versions (there's a
>>> special tab for that on the dialog). Not sure if the Basic
>>> version of Vista has this functionality available (I tried it
>>> with Vista Ultimate)
>> If you meant having many libs of different version exist side-by-side, .NET
>> runtime supports it, but Win32 itself doesn't
>
> Most unixes also have it. The point is that it kind of defeats the purpose.
> Having 20+ libraries called fpcrtl-xyz.dll (or fpcrtl.so.x.y.z on unixes)
> defeats the purpose of a shared library: saving disk and (more importantly)
> memory space by factoring out common code.
>
> If we'd know that the fpcrtl.so (or .dll) interface will stay the same in the
> next 5 years, it makes sense to distribute this. Since the interface changes
> still wildly, it's a bad idea.
>
> Look at Delphi packages: as soon as the interface of a package changes,
> you must re-compile all the binaries that use it. The same would be true
> for FPC. I can assure you this is a major headache when distributing apps.
>
> Michael.

Is that so hard to use version system for rtl libraries ? I think that
most of Lazarus end users will work with one fpc version and no other.

Lazarus developers still need fpc SVN and here is required a way to fast
rebuild lazarus with fpc rtl which is nothing more that we are doing all
the time now ;-) End users sometimes will need to rebuild lazarus and
fpc also if some critical bugs are fixed in fpc but : is it something
extraordinary  ?

Am I missing something ?

Regards
Boguslaw Brandys