[fpc-devel] Light weight threads for FPC

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Mon Dec 17 09:30:54 CET 2007

> Yes, for HPC you need a lot of tuning parameters.

Supposedly the most important tuning parameter of course is the count of
usable CPUs, the next important being the predicted percentage of the
effort to start a thread regarding the runtime the thread needs to
complete. For "lightweight threads" (requesting for a thread pool at
least in Windows) this percentage might be rather low, for normal
Threads somewhat larger. IMHO we should consider PC arrays as well. Here
this percentage of course is a lot larger (transferring parameters and
results through a Network), but here we might have a huge number of
processors.
> My goal is more humble: To use recent multi cores more easily.

Too humble, IMHO, changes to the language should be very well considered. :)

-Michael