[fpc-devel] Parallel Computing

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Dec 10 15:51:45 CET 2007

Mattias Gaertner wrote:

> Think about the alternative: It is much harder to implement the same
> parallel loop with TThread. So OpenMP makes parallel loops much easier
> to implement. For me this is the 'Delphi' way: Makes things easy and
> readable.

It's also very much a case of user expectation. I know of somebody who's
writing some number-crunching stuff in VB: I suspect that like me he's aware
of the parallelisation facilities in FORTRAN but learned to dislike the
language at university. If we can implement something that has the same
"shape" as other OpenMP-aware languages people might be interested, if it's
radically different they won't.

I've taken the liberty of suggesting in
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Talk:OpenMP_support that a "sequential"
modifier would be useful as a guard around the parallel procedure. This might
also be useful for the existing thread model.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk