[fpc-devel] TComponent has no Loading() method

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 11:10:40 CET 2007

On 10/12/2007, Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:
> > I don't use streaming in my GUI Forms Designer or applications, but
> > need to setup the component to a know state!
>
> Sure, but this state cannot include csloading. Nothing is being loaded,
> as you state yourself.

Well, I'm doing the same as the streaming system, but not from a
stream. Streaming populates the component properties to a set state
without firing off events on those components.  I'm doing the exact
same thing but without streaming! Yet I'm not allowed to us csLoading
to get the same behaviour.

Simply because Borland implemented streaming to and from a .dfm file
doesn't mean FPC must be limited to *only that functionality*.  I
decided to take a different route in my Forms Designer by having the
form designer write code in the .pas unit (instead of a external
file), but still need other features from TComponent (beyond the
streaming feature).

> There is no need to expose Loading because there is 1 and only 1 moment
> when loading must be set: during component streaming. And then it is set
> by the streaming system.

Yeah, only applies if you follow Borland's external form files
(.dfm's), but what if you have a Forms Designer that writes code
inside your normal .pas unit. Visual Studio also does this. How am I
supposed to setup a components properties and state without firing
events while doing it. ComponentState is the most logical property to
use, it's already there.

Again, making the change is *not* going to break any code, but does
make TComponent more flexible for other not 'Borland clone'
applications.

Regards,
  - Graeme -