[fpc-devel] Parallel Computing

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 19:41:00 CET 2007

On 03/12/2007, Tomas Hajny <XHajT03 at mbox.vol.cz> wrote:

> > IBM implemented threads but as I understand it had no support for
> > parallelisation across multiple processors, either SMP/NUMA or cluster.
>  .
> Well, OS/2 supports SMP on up to 64 CPUs... If I remember correctly, the
> first version supporting SMP was OS/2 v2.11 dating back to July 1994.

Tomas, I remember something like that as well. At that time OS/2 was
miles ahead of anybody: 32bit desktop OS, a very well thought out and
(I think) responsive desktop (Workplace Shell), true multi-tasking,
usage of threads to help responsiveness etc...

I remember when I was actively part of Team OS/2, we did a simple demo
of a directory listing running in a loop or a Find File (recursively).
 Drag the window, and the content keeps updating/scrolling (remember
this was mid 90's).  On a Windows XP computer (as ridiculous as it
sounds) we still can't do that! Hold the mouse down while some hard
drive action occurs and suddenly the hard drive is quiet.... The mouse
blocks the process/OS!!  Thank goodness Linux is okay in this regard.
:-)     [...but now I'm getting off topic...]

Regards,
  - Graeme -