[fpc-devel] interfaces vs classes in dll

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Mon Dec 3 10:13:45 CET 2007

> One advantage is that it can be easely used on many languages,
> althougth the usefulness of that for ideintf is probably very small.

I suppose you mean programming languages not spoken languages.

But Interface is a Delphi language keyword. I don't see what this has to
with C or whatever.

To interface Delphi Language "Interfaces" with other programming
languages additionally to the Delphi language construct a common ABI
needs to be defined.

I do see that in Windows this is the case with a Delphi language
"Interface" assigned to a Windows "COM" interface, which "on the other
site" can have an interface to a function written in any language (as a
DLL, OLE thingy or whatever). But as FP is supposed to be OS
independent, the ABI between the FOP program and "the other site" needs
to be done without Windows specs.

-Michael