[fpc-devel] Delphi's generics syntax

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Aug 21 23:20:55 CEST 2007

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007, Vincent Snijders wrote:

> Michael Van Canneyt schreef:
> >
> > On Tue, 21 Aug 2007, Inoussa OUEDRAOGO wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I just saw this blog about upcoming Delphi's generic syntax at this
> > > address http://www.bobswart.nl/Weblog/Blog.aspx?RootId=5:1498
> >
> > They of course had to do it different from FPC, once more.
>
> What are the differences? Maybe good to document them (after their release).

Just look at the page above and compare with the FPC manual.

> > I suppose their operator overloading will also be different again.
> >
> > They're not being very cooperative once again.
> >
> > All Delphi owners on the list should NOW complain, saying that
> > they want it compatible to FPC's implementation :-)
>
> Why didn't the fpc team give Bob Swart permission to blog about the generics
> syntax in the upcoming fpc 2.2? :-)

I'm not sure he would even want permission. I think if he started to
look at FPC he would loose his status as "highly appreciated" Delphi guru :-)

Seriously: Borland has never been very cooperative. When lazarus
was started there was a radio broadcast with Michael Hess and
Michael Swindell from Borland. Big words about the "big happy Pascal
family", but unfortunately we've seen very little action to back up
these words...

Ah well, look where Lazarus is now... :-)

Michael.