[fpc-devel] C++ Linking technology

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Fri Apr 27 11:22:56 CEST 2007

Op Fri, 27 Apr 2007, schreef Michael Van Canneyt:

> > >How does other languages such as Perl/Ruby/Python (for example) etc,
> > >handle such connections ?
>
> They don't have to: the compilers/interpreters for these languages are
> written in C. All they need to do in the worst case is compile a small
> stub. For Pascal, the situation is not so simple, as there is no connection
> with C whatsoever.

Some examples:

* C++ constructors do not have a name. Deriving and enhancing
  C++ classes in Pascal would mean you would have to add syntax to write
  nameless constructors, and syntax to call a constructor without
  mentioning its name.

* The copy constructor is a very central theme in C++ OOP programming.
  Being able to derive from C++ classes would mean you would have to be
  able to write a copy constructor in Pascal, and would modify the
  semantics of an assignment to call the copy constructor.

To my knowledge, no language has gone this path. Perl, Python all have
their own OOP classes and deal with C++ only through wrappers.

Daniël