[fpc-devel] Submitted bug report on option order -Sa -Sg-

Tom Verhoeff T.Verhoeff at tue.nl
Fri Apr 13 17:38:01 CEST 2007

I just submitted a bug report (8686) on an option order problem
involving assertion checking (-Sa).

We got bitten badly by this, since it affects our automatic homework
checker (PEACH), that also tests to see if expected exceptions are indeed
raised.  E.g. students need to include appropriate Assert statements
in their programs to check critical preconditions.  Such testing is not
much use when no assertion checking code is generated by the compiler.

Last year everything worked fine, and now it failed.  It turns out
that since last year we added the compiler option -Sg- to prevent
students from using goto statements in their code.

The order -Sa -Sg- fails to generate assertion checking code, whereas
this is generated for the order -Sg- -Sa.

A separate test confirms this (mis)behavior (see bug report: Steps To
Reproduce).

Or am I missing the obvious, and is this really a feature and not a bug?

	Tom
--
E-MAIL: T.Verhoeff @ TUE.NL     | Dept. of Math. & Comp. Science
PHONE:  +31 40 247 41 25        | Technische Universiteit Eindhoven