[fpc-devel] Cross compiling issues

Peter Vreman peter at freepascal.org
Thu Nov 9 19:29:07 CET 2006

> Hello,
>
> When I try to create a cross compile of fpc 2.0.4 to i386 (I'm using
> amd64 native ubuntu edgy).
> When I try to compile it as following:
>
> make all tar CPU_TARGET=i386 CROSSINSTALL=1 INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/lib
>
> It compiles, until it needs to create a tar file and then I have the
> following error message:
> make: *** No rule to make target `tar'.  Stop.

There is no 'tar' target. I wonder where you got it from?
The help screen if no target is given looks like below.

Targets
all Alias for build
build Build a new compiler and all packages
install Install newly build files
zipinstall Create zip/tar of installed files
singlezipinstall Alias for zipinstall

Distribution Targets:
rpm Build linux .rpm packages
deb Build linux .deb packages

For cross compilations and installations there is special
'crosszipinstall' that will pack a cross compiler instead of native
compiler.