[fpc-devel] Threads and alot of crap continued

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed Nov 8 12:06:55 CET 2006

> No, the timer will still be synchronous, only to the current thread's
> event handler, not to the main (GUI) one.
These timers are assigned to a thread.
They are synchronous (non-preemptive) regarding their own thread and
asynchronous (preemptive) regarding all other threads. So, by accessing
objects from the correct thread, the user can select between complexity
and latency as needed.

> I don't see how async timers can be useful for software
It decreases the latency. This is always the reason to do _preemptive_
multitasking.
> (maybe to control hardware perhaps, but only the trivial kind as well,
> no complex state allowed), as you cannot take any locks, and must be
> re-entrant. This implies you can almost call no function at all.

-Michael