AW: [fpc-devel] Bug 0007281 / MemLeak with interfaces

Helmut Hartl helmut.hartl at firmos.at
Tue Nov 7 21:01:35 CET 2006

> It is not usefull to do. There won't be a new release anymore from the
> fixes branch.

Your statement concludes that 2.04 is not usable for production
environment.
-> Except you do not use interfaces - or write programs which are only
commandlinetools, not expected to run for some time.

This also means we cannot release Zeos Database Objects for Freepascal,
which is quite sad. We cannot recommend an average ZEOS user what to do
get a memory stable and usable compiler environment.

FPC 2.0.2 is not usable -> Dataset has bugs. (but is memstable)
FPC 2.0.4 is not usable -> Dataset is OK (but it's not memstable)
(A real world deamon app with about 80.000 lines of code runs about 2
hours,
before crashing the machine.)
FPC 2.1.1 is not usable, as it is the development branch.

For our company it's not a problem we use a patched 2.0.2.
But in our forum we have lots of request for a stable environment.

So what we have done is what the FPC site recommends:

>Download Daily Update of Release Tree (version 2.0.x)
>These snapshots contain the latest bug fixes, without any major new
>feature. This should be more stable than the development snapshots (and
>even the last official release), but there is still no guarantee that
these >snapshots are bugfree.

We have 1446 registered users in the zeosforum and many of them are
using/ starting to use freepascal apart from delphi & kylix.

Maybe you can give me a recommendation what to say to them?
I personally don't want to say them "It's not usefull to use fpc"

It's maybe even usefull for FPC people as we offered to contribute the
whole ZEOS Library with the Lazarus/FPC modified LGPL license.